Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The good, the bad and the worst. Product Reviews

Since going natural, I must admit that my product Junkism has gotten under control compared to the first few months. When I was still a natural newbie, I'm ashamed to say that I became a serious PJ. My addiction took me to various beauty stores buying all the IT products. I admit, it was more curiosity than need that led me to waste so much money on products that I'm yet to open or use. But I'm also proud of myself because I have finally learned refused to spend money on products that everybody says works wonders on natural hair. I co-wash my hair four times a week or sometimes even daily, so finding a good conditioner is really a neccessity. It took me a while to find the product that works best with my hair. I remember reading on some natural hair forum about the wonders of hello hydration herbal essence conditioner and Aussie Moist. Many naturals swear by these two conditioners, and I told myself that maybe this might be it, this might be the conditioner that works for my hair.


The verdict:

Hello Hydration did not really do it for me. It did not give me any slip and left my hair needing more moisture. I don't know why but this conditioner didn't work well for me. I have not tried the totally twisted brand, but maybe some time in the future I might give this a try again and who knows, it might just work its wonders. But until then, Goodbye hydration.

The verdict:

Bluh. Ok, I was really amped when I bought this conditioner, but image my disappointment after conditioning my hair and not getting the results I so hoped for! Aussie moist was more like Aussie dry for me, I really gave this conditioner a chance but it left me with nothing but disappointment and thirsty hair. Again, maybe I might give it another chance in the future, but for now it's a no no, my hair disapproves. 

So...I think I might have found THE ONE. Now wait, I know it might be a bit irrational to call my new found love the one, but I can assure you that nothing has pleased me so dearly like Shea. Yup, my new found love is the Shea Moisture Conditioner. It turns out that Shea was hiding in plain sight! Everytime I go to CVS, I always walk right past Shea, I have never NEVER thought of giving Shea a chance, until recently. In fact, Shea pleased me so much that I went out and bought the whole Shea Moisture line. Shampoo, Conditioner, Masque, and Smoothie. Yup, It was Co$tly, (Like every natural hair product out there)  put a big hole in my pocket, but definitely worth the price tag. 

Here's Shea and her sisters. 



I rarely shampoo my hair so I don't really care much for shampoos especially since they contain sulfates that strips my hair of moisture. I do however, use shampoos occasionally to clarify and get rid of the product build ups.  Shea moisture retaining Shampoo is hands down, The best I've used so far. 

Another Shea product I love is the Curl enhancing smoothie. It smells SO GOOD! I could bathe in it daily! The Shea smoothie really REALLY loves my hair, or rather, my hair loves it. It keeps my hair moisturized and soft, I can go three days without having to reapply it and my hair remains moisturized and soft. However, I have learned that moderation is KEY. The first time I used it at night, I put so much on my  hair that when I woke up the next day, it did not, would not dry out! I had to rinse it out and of course, put a small amount for reapplication. The Shea Smoothie is really good, better than this one....

A friend of mine gave me this curl defining cream at work as a gift and I was so excited because at that time, I really wanted it.  The price tag on this is $34, so you can imagine my joy when it was given as a gift and didn't have to spend my dime on it. My hair liked this product, but my only problem is that it tends to be a bit sticky. I used it maybe about three times and threw it under the sink, my mom happen to love it so you know, one man's trash is another man's treasure. 

I must MUST mention Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. 


Ok, when i first Big Chopped, I searched and searched every product available to help define my curls. From hair forums to youtube videos to hair blogs, most natural swore that this product is the best out there. And so I spent $17 and hoped against all odds, that this product would help defined my unruly tight 4 curls. The verdict? EPIC FAIL! I so don't know why my hair rebels against the most acclaimed natural hair products, I really really don't know why. I was so disappointed with this product that I swore never to buy hair products based on reviews again. But you know what they say, never say never. 

After trying many different gels and getting disappointed with each trial, I finally stumbled upon this gem in my mom's bathroom...


I love this gel. It leaves no flakes, provides super moisture and amazing curl definition. I truly love this gel! I ran out of it and when I went to buy another one, I couldn't find it! So I had to settle for the ECO styler olive oil gel. I have read a lot of many good reviews about it, so I figured why not give it a try... 

I will can't wait to see if this gel lives up to the hype it gets. 

I have more products to write about but at the moment am quite hungry and not entirely in the product review mood, so will have to do another post another time to continue. Adios for now! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...